The Cook family first became involved in the trucking industry in 1918 when Everett D. Cook and George A. Brockway decided to establish the first Brockway truck dealership in Binghamton, New York. Everett ran the business and worked on firmly entrenching the Cook name in the Binghamton market. In 1935, his son, Henry, joined the company.
Due to the importance of the trucking industry to the war effort, Henry received a deferment from the draft when the World War II started in 1941. Henry's brother, Charles, was drafted but could not serve due to medical reasons. Henry felt that either Charles or he had a duty to serve their country, so he convinced Charles to become his partner in the business so he could join the war effort. Through this act of patriotism, Cook Brothers Truck Parts was born.
At the conclusion of World War II, Henry returned to Binghamton and the company prospered. Cook Brothers added major vendor lines, increased its marketing efforts and entered a new facility in 1959.
In the 1970's, a third generation of Cooks became involved in the family business when Henry's son, Henry Jr., joined the organization. In 1977, Bob Seyerlien joined the organization and together with henry Jr., started planning the course for the future. As the company continued to grow, additional space was needed, and in 1978, Cook Brother built a new warehouse to handle the increased parts business in the heavy-duty truck market in the southern tier of New York State. In 1982, the company took a major leap forward when it entered into an agreement with Mack Trucks, Inc. to become the Mack Truck dealership in the Binghamton area. Now, in addition to its rapidly growing parts business, Cook Brothers had a nationally recognized truck line to sell as well. The company also sought to widen its impact in the truck parts market, opening parts stores in Pittston, Pennsylvania and Elmira, New York. The new Pittston store allowed Cook Brothers to service customers in Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, Pennsylvania, while the Elmira store allowed Cook Brothers to expand its footprint across the southern tier of New York. In 1988, the final member of the current ownership team was added when Mike Venuti joined the organization. The 1980s saw further expansion for Cook Brothers as they also opened its Express Gears operation to address the need for a rear axle and transmission portion of the business.
Cook Brothers continued to increase its parts business in the 1990s by adding four additional New York stores in Rochester, Utica, Watertown and Homer. Cook Brothers also ventured into the leasing business, starting its own truck leasing company called NEC Leasing. Further associations with Mack Truck Leasing and NationaLease have allowed NEC Leasing to succeed.
In 1996, Cook Brothers supplemented its truck line by adding a medium-duty line with UD Trucks. In 1998, Cook Brothers greatly expanded its truck business by acquiring a Mack Truck dealership as well as the Hino truck dealer in Scranton, Pennsylvania. This acquisition gave Cook Brothers a much wider Mack Truck territory and added a second medium-duty truck line while also increasing its parts coverage in Northeast Pennsylvania. In 2000, Cook Brothers added to its parts base by opening an additional parts location in Mechanicsburg.
In 2004, Cook Brothers, recognizing a need in the marketplace for brake products that exceed original equipment quality at a lower price, took another bold step and established its own brand of brake products marketed under the name of RoadWolf.
Cook Brothers continues to grow its parts business as well as its heavy-duty truck business. Throughout the years, the management team at Cook Brothers has strived to be the one-stop for the trucking industry. “For all your truck parts needs” has been the company slogan and its ultimate goal. Having never lost sight of that goal, Cook Brothers now operates one of the largest truck parts distributors in the northeast and has a full line of heavy-duty truck parts, service repair facilities, full service driveline facilities, new and used truck sales, and leasing.
Henry B. Cook, Jr.: President
Robert J. Seyerlein: Vice-President
Michael D. Venuti: Treasurer